To create an LPR-compatible printer:
- Choose Start, Settings, Printers, Add Printer to start installing a printer.
- Click My Computer, and then click Next.
- Click Add Port.
- Click LPR Port, and then click New Port.
If LPR Port is not available, install the Microsoft TCP/IP Printing service.
This is done from CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK.
- In Name or address of server providing lpd, type the DNS name or IP address of the NetportExpress print server.
- In Name of printer or print queue on that server, type one of the following depending on the type of NetportExpress print server:
For NetportExpress XL print servers (use one only):
- PASSTHRU for most jobs
- TEXT for jobs that need to have a CR added to LF's
For NetportExpress PRO print servers (all models, use one only):
- LPT1_PASSTHRU for most jobs (use this for Internal models)
- LPT2_PASSTHRU for most jobs
- COM1_PASSTHRU for most jobs
- LPT1_TEXT for jobs that need to have a CR added to LF's (use for Internal models)
- LPT2_TEXT for jobs that need to have a CR added to LF's
- COM1_TEXT for jobs that need to have a CR added to LF's
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the LPR-compatible printer.
This applies to: