What is the Intel® Storage Management Pack?
The Intel Storage Management Pack (formerly LUN Copier) allows the creation of a local copy of a data LUN, and the creation of a new OS LUN (which can be assigned to a new compute module as with the boot LUN), by copying an existing LUN which already has an OS installed in it.
What are the benefits of an Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack?
- Copying an existing virtual drive can be used as a local backup solution (on the Intel® Modular Server only)
- Makes OS provisioning and deployment easier and faster
- Can be used for non-production environment testing
- Off-line and On-Line RAID morphing
What is off-line RAID morphing?
Copying a virtual drive from one RAID level to another, when the Intel® Compute Module assigned to this virtual drive is switched off.
What is on-line RAID morphing?
Copying a virtual drive from one RAID level to another, when the Intel® Compute Module assigned to this virtual drive is switched on.
What are the requirements for using the Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack?
How long does LUN copying take?
This depends on the size and content of the virtual drive being copied. Copying the LUN runs as a background task and will only have a limited amount of system resources available for this task. Copying a LUN during productive time of the system may have a performance impact. If users wish to copy more than one LUN: the first copy will start, and then all further copy processes will be queued up and start when the previous one is finished.
What do I need to do to activate my Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack feature?
- Contact your reseller to purchase a paper pack ID. Product code MFSLUNCOPY MM#903085.
- Obtain the mid plane serial number of the Intel Modular Server on which the feature should be activated.
- See How do I activate features on the Intel® Modular Server? to find the midplane serial number and steps for license key activation.
Is the Defragment option only available with the Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack activated?
Yes, this option is only available as part of the Intel Modular Server Storage Management Pack.
This applies to: