Windows XP* mode for Windows 7* makes it easy to install and run many Windows XP applications from a Windows 7 based PC. It uses virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC* to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.
- Operating System: Windows 7 Professional*, Windows 7 Ultimate* or Windows 7 Enterprise*.
- Hard drive: 2 GB of hard drive space is needed for installing Windows XP Mode; an additional 15 GB of hard drive space is needed for the virtual Windows environment.
- Software: Virtualization software like Windows Virtual PC* is required.
- Processor: A processor supporting Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) is required. Windows XP mode requires a processor capable of hardware virtualization.
- Motherboard: Must support a processor with Intel® VT and the BIOS should have the option to enable/disable Intel® VT. The Intel® VT must be enabled in the BIOS.
For a list of Intel processors that support Intel® Virtualization Technology refer to the Intel® Virtualization Technology List.
For more information and support on Windows Virtual PC and Microsoft Windows XP Mode installation and use, refer to Microsoft Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC Home*.
This applies to: