This document provides instructions for updating your computer to the latest BIOS version.
See BIOS update instructions for Intel® NUC products.
All BIOS update files for Intel® Desktop Boards are available on the Intel Download Center.
Six methods of updating an Intel® Desktop Board BIOS to the latest version are offered. The number of options made available for any particular board varies depending on drive support and BIOS update file size. You only need to use one.
Other BIOS update instructions for unique boards:
Check this matrix to see which method works for you.
1 The Express BIOS Update is the simplest and most common method of updating the BIOS.
2 The F7 BIOS Flash Update is available on Intel® Desktop Boards beginning in 2009. To see if your board supports this feature, in BIOS Setup, check the Boot > Boot Display Options menu for the setting Display F7 to Update BIOS.
3 The diskette method can be used only when the BIOS update files are small enough to fit on a diskette (smaller than 1.44 MB) and if the desktop board includes diskette drive support.
Identify your board
To identify your Intel® Desktop Board, refer to Identify your board using the Intel® board ID tool.
To identify your current BIOS version, check the BIOS version string:
- During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
- Check the Main menu.
- The third segment of the BIOS version string (a 4-digit number) is the current BIOS version.
- Press Escape to exit BIOS Setup.
Example of BIOS ID string showing the version number:
- Update the BIOS on your computer only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem you have. Intel does not recommend BIOS updates for computers that do not need it. You can view all new BIOS fixes in the release notes included on the BIOS download page in Download Center.
- Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version is not recommended and might not be supported. An earlier BIOS version might not offer support for the latest processors, bug fixes, critical security updates, or support the latest board revisions currently being manufactured.
- Before initiating a BIOS update, be sure to read and precisely follow the update instructions. You can open and print any PDF file from the online instructions table below for easy reference.
- All images in the examples used in the instructions are for illustration purposes only. You need to select the correct BIOS files for your desktop board.
- If a BIOS update process is interrupted, your computer might not function properly. Intel suggests the process be done in an environment with a steady power supply (preferably with UPS). If you have system issues after updating your BIOS version, see Troubleshooting BIOS Issues.
Note: PDF Files require Adobe Acrobat Reader*
This applies to: