When choosing a power supply unit (PSU) for your system, keep in mind that the total amount of system power needed depends on many factors:
- Processor type
- Drives (hard drives, optical)
- Add-in cards (audio, video, LAN)
- Other devices
The technical product specification for your Intel® Desktop Board includes a section for electrical considerations with a recommended minimum power supply.
Intel suggests that you calculate the power usage requirements of your complete system configuration to make sure that the power supply is adequate.
- Check the documentation that comes with the devices you are installing to find the power requirement for each.
- Use a power supply calculator to help you find the minimum power supply you'll need for your configuration. Search the web for "power supply calculator" to find sites that offer them.
If you use a PSU that does not supply enough power for the system, any of the following symptoms might occur:
- System does not boot
- System randomly shuts down
- Add-in devices do not work properly
Find the specification for your board
This applies to: