- Unable to change resolution or color depth
- Stuck in a limited video mode
1) Close all programs and make sure no background tasks are running, such as virus scanners, task schedulers, Microsoft NetMeeting* or any other programs that run in the task bar.
2) Verify that the correct monitor driver is installed. This can be determined by going to
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Monitor
This tab should say either "Plug and Play Monitor" or it should have the manufacturer and model number of the monitor listed. If something else is shown, click the "Change..." or "Properties" button to select the correct monitor. If the monitor is not listed, contact the monitor manufacturer for an updated monitor driver (or monitor INF file).
3) Do a clean reinstall of the graphics drivers by going through the following steps:
a) In Display Properties, change the display adapter type to standard VGA. (See the Uninstall section of the Read Me for the graphics drivers for full directions.)
c) Install the graphics drivers according to the instructions in the Read Me file.
4) Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings and select the desired resolution and Color depth. Click "Apply" to apply the changes.
| Windows 95 OSR 2.x*, Windows 98 *, Windows 98 SE*, Windows 2000 *, Windows Me*
This applies to: