Intel® Smart Response Technology is an Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) caching feature that improves computer system performance. It allows a user to configure computer systems with an SSD used as cache memory between the hard disk drive and system memory.
This provides the advantage of having a hard disk drive (or a RAID volume) for maximum storage capacity while delivering an SSD-like overall system performance experience. Intel® Smart Response Technology caching is implemented as a single drive letter solution; no additional drive letter is required for the SSD device used as cache.
- Intel® Z87, Q87, H87, Z77, Q77, H77 Express Chipset-based desktop board
- Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 or LGA1150 package
- System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
- Single hard disk drive or multiple drives in a single RAID volume
- Solid-state drive (SSD) with a minimum capacity of 18.6GB
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit editions)
Configure SATA mode in BIOS setup
- Press the F2 key during boot up to enter the BIOS setup menu.
- Go to Configuration SATA Drives.
- Select the setting for Chipset SATA Mode and change the value to RAID.
- Press the F10 key to save settings and restart the system.
Operating system installationYou may now begin installation of the operating system on the drive (or RAID volume):
- Install all required device drivers.
- Install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software version 10.5 or later.
Enabling Intel® Smart Response Technology
The Intel® RST software denotes Intel® Smart Response Technology as accelerate.
- Run the Intel® RST software through the All Programs menu or the task bar icon.
- Click Enable acceleration under either the Status or Accelerate menu.
- Select the SSD to be used as a cache device.
- Select the size from the SSD to be allocated for the cache memory.
||Any remaining space on the SSD may be used for data storage using the simple data single-disk RAID 0 volume that is automatically created.|
- Select the drive (or RAID volume) to be accelerated. It is highly recommended to accelerate the system volume or system disk for maximum performance.
- Select the acceleration mode. By default, enhanced mode is selected.
||Enhanced mode: Acceleration is optimized for data protection.|
Maximized mode: Acceleration is optimized for input/output performance.
- Click OK. The page refreshes and reports the new acceleration configuration in the acceleration view. Your system is now successfully configured with the Intel® Smart Response Technology.
This applies to: