As cloud-computing services and other forces increase the demands of your data center, creating a more efficient IT infrastructure is essential. With the right server technology, not only can you put more powerful applications in the hands of users via your private cloud, you can simultaneously keep your energy bills down.
Automated power management
With the versatility to automate and adapt performance to meet server workloads, Intel® Xeon® processor E5 family-based servers deliver a noticeable improvement in your data center’s ability to handle storage, network, virtualization, and security demands. This improves your ability to allocate and dynamically balance power at the rack, row, or data center level to optimize performance and reduce costs.1, 2
Upgrading to these server processors helps you optimize power in several ways:
- Fine-tuning control: Power tuning technology uses onboard sensors to give greater control over power and thermal levels across the system.
- Automatic regulation: Intel® Intelligent Power Technology automatically regulates power consumption to combine industry-leading energy efficiency with intelligent performance that adapts to your workload. It’s supported by the Intel® Node Manager (Intel® NM) for increased rack density and the Intel® Data Center Manager (Intel® DCM) for greater data center efficiency.
- Traffic consolidation: Your data center can consolidate network-attached storage (NAS)-based traffic, simplify cabling for faster connections, and reduce power.
Expected benefits of upgrading
Compared to single-core servers, Intel Xeon processor E5 family-based servers demonstrate vastly improved efficiency by multiple measures:
- Increase rack density up to 40 percent.1,3
- Get up to 50 percent more performance than previous generations with servers based on the Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v2 product families.4,5
Increase server performance: Intel® Xeon® processor E5 family
Increase server performance with more cores, greater memory, and Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0.
Best practices for high performance
Stay current with the latest Intel research on air-cooled high-performance data centers, and learn what the case studies show about the best methods for data center design.