VMware vSphere™ 4.1 and the Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 Family
The value of data center virtualization continues to grow. Not long ago, VMware vSphere* 4.1 running on the Intel® Xeon® processor 7500 series delivered world-record virtualization performance, while providing breakthrough scalability and high-availability for mission-critical enterprise computing on four-socket, eight-socket, and... larger servers.
• The Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family
extends those advantages with a new generation of more powerful servers that deliver even better performance and scalability for mission-critical applications, with higher consolidation ratios and additional improvements in data integrity and platform reliability. Importantly, this processor family also provides the foundation for stronger security in virtual environments, so sensitive business data can be stored and processed on virtual infrastructure with greater confidence.
• VMware vSphere 4.1 adds to these advantages
by providing the leading virtualization platform for running mission-critical applications and delivering major improvements in live migration speed and flexibility, resource management, health monitoring, and security. Together with the Intel Xeon processor E7 family, it provides the ideal IT infrastructure for hosting the full range of enterprise applications on scalable, reliable, secure, and highly flexible data center infrastructure. With VMware vSphere 4.1 and the Intel Xeon processor E7 family, IT organizations can extend the benefits of virtualization, high-density consolidation, and dynamic workload management across all their applications to achieve data center efficiencies that have never before been possible using affordable, industry-standard servers. This industry-leading virtualization platform provides:
• Dramatically higher consolidation ratios to drive down data center space, power, and cooling requirements, reduce related maintenance costs, and improve the utilization of network and storage ports.
• Near-native application performance in a virtual environment, with the scalability to support demanding enterprise applications, including large databases and high-volume transactional and productivity applications.
• Rock-solid support for mission-critical computing needs with mainframe-inspired high availability features, plus dial-up control of service levels through policy-based resource guarantees, enhanced health monitoring and diagnostics, and automated virtual machine failover across LANs and WAN.
Read the full VMware vSphere* 4.1 and the Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 Family Solution Brief.