Intel® Processor Platform Advances Embedded Features
The document describes the Intel® Xeon® processor 5600/5500 series, based on the latest generation Intel® microarchitecture, codenamed Nehalem, which offers the first Intel Xeon processors on 32nm technology (5600 series), providing a follow-up to the Intel Xeon processor 5500 series on 45nm technology.
These processors provide key embedded features, such as extended life cycle support and options for thermally constrained applications, while maintaining compatibility with enterprise platform configurations. The common microarchitecture and a common mechanical socket throughout both series provide investment protection and a simplified path to upgrades.
The platform provides the performance, memory and I/O capabilities needed to meet a wide range of compute-intensive embedded, storage, and communications applications that include:
• Communication infrastructure servers, blades, and appliances
• Security servers, blades, and appliances
• Storage servers, blades, and appliances
• Carrier-grade rack-mount servers
• Proprietary form factors, such as router modules
• AdvancedTCA*-based blades
• Medical servers, blades, and appliances.
Read the full Intel® Processor Platform Advances Embedded Features Platform Brief.