At Intel, we know our environmental responsibility goes far beyond delivering eco-friendly products. Our commitment to using technology for intelligent solutions to reduce impacts doesn't stop at the processor. It extends into how we manage Intel Developer Forum and engage attendees in simple ways to reduce impact, add value, and educate attendees about sustainability. This has included taking steps at IDF San Francisco, Beijing, and São Paulo. We're making steady progress to exercise a long-term commitment to become more sustainable.
Green IDF (What Intel Is Doing)
Intel is proudly partnering with our suppliers to continue to green the upcoming Intel Developer Forum in new and diverse ways. Intel is still sustaining our past practices of using energy efficient audio visual equipment and LED lighting; reusing Intel event properties, keynote staging, and technology showcase booths; using a comprehensive back and front of house recycling, composting, and a donation program that reduces landfill materials; and selecting host hotels within walking distance of Moscone Center that have linen reuse programs, energy efficient house-keeping, use green-certified cleaners, and use recycled content paper products.1
The Technology Showcase uses enough carpet to cover two football fields. By reusing this carpet IDF saves enough energy to power three homes for a year. That avoids carbon emissions equal to 38 cars for a year!2
Did you know that Intel has a property reuse program that ensures the displays in our Pavilions are reused over and over? Although you may not recognize them at least 95 percent of exhibit components have been repurposed, some for as long as five years! We take "reduce and reuse" seriously!
Did you know Intel trucks use greener hydrogen technology? And that materials shipped to IDF are consolidated to reduce carbon? These practices save an estimated 53 metric tons of carbon emissions. That's equal to 123 barrels of oil, which in today's market costs over $11,400!3
Each event attendee at IDF produces about five pounds of landfill waste. Help us cut back on waste by participating in onsite recycling and composting. Since 2009 IDF has recycled, composted or donated over 86,000 pounds of materials to keep trash out of landfills. That's enough to fill three garbage trucks!4
IDF purchases Green-e® certified Renewable Energy Certificates to offset 520 MWh of energy used in meeting space and hotels during the event. This avoids over 1 million pounds of carbon emissions, providing benefits comparable to taking 90 cars of the road for a year.5
Did you know IDF "goes green" globally? Green event practices in place at IDF San Francisco are taken around the world to events in China and Brazil where steps are taken to reduce our footprint. For example, we've eliminated 69,650 sheets of paper evaluations at these global events this year. Lined up end to end that's enough paper to stretch seven times the length of the Golden Gate Bridge. So hug a tree, and don't forget to fill in your online evaluation!6
IDF San Francisco stopped using bottled water in 2008, a practice that is now adopted at IDF events in China and Brazil. This has prevented use of over 73,000 water bottles and saved 66,500 liters of water. That water can now be used for more appreciated tasks, like brewing beer. In fact, you could make 900 glasses of beer on the water we've saved by eliminating bottles!7
Intel invites IDF attendees to take the pledge to be green at IDF 2012.
1. تحتفظ Intel لنفسها بالحق في غدخال تغييرات وإجراء تعديلات على محتوى وجدول منتدى مطوري Intel بكامل حريتها وإرادتها.
2. Based on 13,500 square yards of carpet reclaimed and an estimated 424,764 lbs CO2e equivalencies calculated with EPA GHG Calculator (http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/calculator.html).
3. Based on 43,552 miles traveled and 33,538 miles avoided. GHG equivalencies calculated with EPA GHG Calculator (http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/calculator.html). Price of oil as at 8/10/12 from (http://www.oil-price.net/).
4. Per Moscone Center measurements on actual landfill, recycling and composting recovered from IDF San Francisco 2009-2011.
5. Per Sterling Planet calculations and based on direct consumption at venue in 2011 and estimated total room nights at 13 host hotels for 2012. Carbon equivalency calculated using the USEPA GHG Emissions Calculator http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/calculator.html
6. Based on 6,000 (Brazil), 27,850 (Beijing) and 35,800 (San Francisco) paper evaluations, 8.5"x11" size. The Golden Gate Bridge measures 8,981 feet long (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge).
7. Based on 36546.7 L of water at IDF San Francisco (2008-2011), Beijing (2011-2012) and Brazil (2012). Assumes bulk bubblers replaced 16.9 oz / 500 ml water bottles.