What is the Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack?
The Intel Storage Management Pack (formerly LUN Copier) allows the creation of a local copy of a data LUN, and the creation of a new OS LUN (which can be assigned to a new compute module as with the boot LUN), by copying an existing LUN which already has an OS installed in it.
What are the benefits of an Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack?
- Copying an existing virtual drive can be used as a local backup solution (on the Intel® Modular Server only)
- Makes OS provisioning and deployment easier and faster
- Can be used for non-production environment testing
- Off-line and On-Line RAID morphing
What is off-line RAID morphing?
Copying a virtual drive from one RAID level to another, when the Intel® Compute Module assigned to this virtual drive is switched off.
What is on-line RAID morphing?
Copying a virtual drive from one RAID level to another, when the Intel® Compute Module assigned to this virtual drive is switched on.
What are the requirements for using the Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack?
- An Intel® Modular Server with firmware version 4.0 or above.
- A valid license key which activates the Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack feature on the Intel Modular Server.
- Intel® Compute Modules that run the validated operating systems for this feature
- Windows* 2003 R2 SP-2 and 2008 SP-1 and SP-2
- SuSE* 10.2 and 11
- RHEL* 5
How long does LUN copying take?
This depends on the size and content of the virtual drive being copied. Copying the LUN runs as a background task and will only have a limited amount of system resources available for this task. Copying a LUN during productive time of the system may have a performance impact. If users want to copy more than one LUN: the first copy will start, and then all further copy processes will be queued up and start when the previous one is finished.
Is the defragment option only available with the Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack activated?
Yes, this option is only available as part of the Intel Modular Server Storage Management Pack.
What do I need to do to activate my Intel® Modular Server Storage Management Pack feature?
These products are now discontinued, and can no longer be ordered.