Create or import a new profile using Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software
A profile is a saved group of network settings. Profiles are useful when moving from one wireless network to another. Different profiles can be configured for each wireless network. Profile settings include the network name (SSID), operating mode, and security settings.
Click on the topics to expand the content:
How to create a profile
The easiest way to create a new profile is to connect to the wireless network using Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. When you successfully connect to a network using this software, a profile is saved and used to access the network the next time you are within range.
The method to create a new profile works well if the network does not have security enabled. If security is enabled, you know the passcode to access the secure network.
An alternative method for creating a profile is to use the Profile option in the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Wi-Fi Connection Utility:
- Open Intel PROSet/Wireless Software:
- Select Start > Programs > Intel PROSet Wireless. or
- Double-click the Taskbar icon .
- Select a network in the Wi-Fi Network area.
- Click Profiles. The Profile window opens.
- Click Add. The Create Wi-Fi Profile window opens.
Enter the following information:
Profile Name: This is your name for this network. It can be anything that helps you identify the network. For example: My Home Network.
Wi-Fi Network Name (SSID): The best way to find your network name is use your router's configuration tool. See the router's documentations for help on finding the network name.
Select operating mode.
You may or may not have this option.
Network (Infrastructure) - Use this option when you need to connect to network and the internet.
Device to Device (Ad Hoc) - Use this option when you need to connect two or more computers. You will not be able connect to the internet with this option.
- Click Next. The Security Settings attempts to detect the network settings of this network.
- Select the security that matches your network security. Personal Security is set by default and works for most home networks.
- Enter password, if required, and click Next.
- Click OK to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
How to import a profile
To import profiles manually, follow the procedure below:
Go to Control Panel by clicking Start > Control Panel, then select Network and Internet.
Under Network and Internet, select Intel® PROSet/Wireless Tools.
Under Administer subsection of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Tools, click the Import… button.
Select the profile files to import by browsing the files on your computer.
- After selecting the profile, click the Import button.
You will be notified that the profile has been successfully imported.
|Connect to your wireless network using Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software|