The Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v2 Family
When you want results in near-real time, every time
The next generation has arrived
Run your biggest, most complex data on Intel® Xeon® processor E7 v2 family–based servers. The latest processors accommodate and accelerate in-memory analytics and can scale rapidly to manage data sets of increasing size. So take a closer look. You’ll discover the many ways these top-of-the-line server processors can make business intelligence your competitive advantage.
Up to double the performance1,2,3
The Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family is manufactured on industry-leading 22-nm technology. In addition to providing up to double the performance over the preceding generation,1,2,3 these new processors deliver a range of high-performance capabilities for business processing, analysis, and technical computing.
Up to triple the memory capacity1,4
Gain up to triple the previous generation’s memory capacity—in scalable two-, four-, and eight-socket CPU configurations. Each socket supports up to 1.5 TB of memory for complex, data-demanding workloads such as in-memory databases and real-time business analytics.
Up to quadruple the I/O bandwidth1,2,5
Increase data throughput and reduce I/O latency with Intel® Integrated I/O, which supports the PCI Express* 3.0 specification to improve bandwidth.1,2,6 You’ll enjoy extra capacity and flexibility for storage and networking. Plus, new features such as Intel® Data Direct I/O Technology further reduce latency and power consumption.
Higher availability and uptime
Reduce the frequency and cost of server downtime while protecting the integrity of your critical data with Intel® Run Sure Technology. It’s just one of many advanced features that are now available on the Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family to help ensure reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS).
Protect your data and operating system with hardware-based security technologies, including Intel® Data Protection Technology with Intel® AES New Instructions (Intel® AES-NI) and Intel® Secure Key, and Intel® Platform Protection Technology with Intel® OS Guard, Intel® Trusted Execution Technology, and Execute Disable Bit (XD Bit).7
Performance advantage vs. IBM POWER7+*
Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family–based servers offer up to an 80-percent performance advantage at up to 80-percent lower 4-year total cost of ownership (TCO)1,2,8 over servers based on IBM POWER7+.
Intel® Xeon® processor E7 v2-based servers provide performance, reliability, and scalability.
Watch the video >
Intel® Run Sure Technology
Intel® Xeon® processor E7 v2-based servers increase server uptime and data integrity.
Watch the video >
Performance BenchmarksView More Benchmarks
Shows the Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4800 v2 series-based platform business intelligence performance with the Terracotta BigMemory...
Shows the Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4800 v2 series-based platform matrix multiplication performance using the LINPACK* benchmark.
Shows the Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4800 v2 series-based platform business processing performance using the HammerDB* benchmark.
Shows the Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4800 v2 series-based platform market trading analysis performance with the STAC-M3* benchmark.
Shows Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4800 v2 series-based platform enterprise resource planning using SAP SD* Two-Tier Internet...
Shows the Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4800 v2 series-based platform memory bandwidth performance using the STREAM* benchmark.
1. Software and workloads used in performance tests may have been optimized for performance only on Intel® microprocessors. Performance tests, such as SYSmark and MobileMark, are measured using specific computer systems, components, software, operations, and functions. Any change to any of those factors may cause the results to vary. You should consult other information and performance tests to assist you in fully evaluating your contemplated purchases, including the performance of that product when combined with other products. For more information, go to www.intel.com/performance.
2. Results have been estimated based on internal Intel analysis and are provided for informational purposes only. Any difference in system hardware or software design or configuration may affect actual performance.
3. Up to 2x average generational performance gain based on results of six key industry-standard workloads: SPECint*_rate_base2006+ (estimated), SPECfp*_rate _base2006+ (estimated), brokerage online transaction processing (OLTP) database workload, warehouse supply chain OLTP database workload, STREAM* memory bandwidth, and LINPACK* GFLOPS. Configurations: 4-socket server using Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4890 v2 (new processor) vs. Intel Xeon processor E7-4870 (previous generation processor). Source: Intel internal testing as of November 2013.
4. Up to 3x claim based on 4- or 8-socket server using Intel® Xeon® processor v2 product family with 6 TB or 12 TB total memory installed, which requires support for 64 GB LR-DIMMs and 8x Intel® C104 Scalable Memory Buffer compared to 4- or 8-socket server using the prior generation with maximum memory capacities of 2 TB or 4 TB respectively. Consult your system manufacturer for more information.
5. Up to 4x I/O bandwidth claim based on Intel internal estimates of the Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4890 v2 performance normalized against the improvements over dual-IOH Intel Xeon processor E7-4870 based on internal bandwidth tool running the 1R1W test.
6. 8 GT/s and 128b/130b encoding in PCIe* 3.0 specification is estimated to double the interconnect bandwidth over the PCIe 2.0 specification. Source: http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/November_18_2010_Press_Release/.
7. No computer system can provide absolute security. Requires an enabled Intel® processor, enabled chipset, firmware, and software, and may require a subscription with a capable service provider (may not be available in all countries). Intel assumes no liability for lost or stolen data and/or systems or any other damages resulting thereof. Consult your service provider for availability and functionality. For more information, visit http://www.intel.com/go/anti-theft. Consult your system manufacturer and/or software vendor for more information.
8. Up to 80% leadership performance on Intel® Xeon® processor E7 v2 over IBM POWER7+* at ~80% lower TCO claim based on Intel estimated SPECint*_rate_base2006 results and pricing of comparable 4-socket rack server using Intel Xeon processor E7-4890 v2 (37.5M Cache, 2.8 GHz, 15-Cores) to IBM Power 750* using POWER7+ (80M Cache, 4.0 GHz, 8-Cores) as of December 2013. a. SPECint_rate_base2006 benchmark results: i. 4-chip IBM POWER7+ (1230 baseline score) source: http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2013q3/cpu2006-20130805-26129.html ii. 4-chip Intel Xeon processor E7-4890 v2 (2280 baseline score estimated) b. Estimated street pricing: i. 4-chip Intel Xeon processor E7-4890 v2 platform Intel estimated price of $51,237 with 4x Intel Xeon processor E7-4890 v2 processors, 256 GB memory, 2 HDDs. ii. 4-chip IBM Power 750 Express pricing of $177,290: 4 x 4.0 GHz POWER7+* processors, 256GB memory, 2 HDDs. Source: IBM United States prices 113-026, dated February 5, 2013 (hardware list prices). http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/6/897/ENUS113-026/ENUS-113-026-LIST_PRICES_2013_02_05.PDF. c. Up to 80% better 4-year TCO through lower software costs claim based on Intel internal total cost of ownership tool normalizing integer throughput performance between the two options. i. Calculations includes analysis based on performance, power, cooling, electricity rates, operating system, and annual support/license costs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux* for POWER* or 32-/64-bit x86 at https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/server/ plus estimated server costs. ii. Assumptions include 42U racks, $0.10 per kWh, cooling costs 2x average server power consumption costs, Alinean* assumptions of $500 per server maintenance and $30 per server networking costs, average real estate cost per year from VMware* planning tool at $310 per sq. foot * 10 sq. feet per rack divided by the number of servers per rack, 60% CPU utilization and PUE of 2.0.