QLogic: Design Automation Takes to the Cloud
QLogic triples performance of electronic design automation (EDA) software with Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series
From Ethernet adapters to stackable Fibre Channel* switches, QLogic develops industry-leading solutions for the next-generation data center. QLogic uses Intel® processor technologies in its own data center to deliver on-demand computing capacity that helps the company speed its breakthroughs to the marketplace. Development groups are using the Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series for next-generation testing.
• Aging virtual infrastructure. QLogic was an innovator in virtualizing its mission-critical engineering environment ahead of less strategic applications. But as its engineering grid aged, performance began to lag, and a single job (or simulation) could vary by an average of 28 percent from one run to the next.
• HP ProLiant BL460c G6* blades with the Intel Xeon processor 5500 series. QLogic chose this solution after its head-to-head comparisons showed the Intel Xeon processor 5500 series outperformed an alternative processor in the same platform on all six key metrics, including running CPU-bound applications nearly twice as fast.
• Intel Xeon processor 5600 series to drive faster data networks. Lab groups are introducing the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series for tasks such as performance testing of products under development.
• Triple the performance. QLogic says its CPU-bound applications run almost three times faster on the new cloud than on its earlier grid, and I/O bound applications are twice as fast.
• 25 percent lower cost per grid slot. The energy efficiency of the Intel® processors helped reduce energy consumption by more than 24 percent. The overall cost per grid slot shrank by 25 percent.
• Five nines of availability. Availability has exceeded expectations, rising from 99.5 to 99.999 percent.
• Accelerated innovation. With faster results, engineers can run more design simulations, bringing higher-quality products to the marketplace more rapidly.
Read the full QLogic Design Automation Takes to the Cloud Case Study.