We're a global corporation and we have incredible opportunities everywhere. So, step inside our world and find out where we do what we do to improve how people work, live, and play.
Fast Facts: The Site
In early 1972, a consultant persuaded Intel founding member Andy Grove to consider the ideal location for Intel's first offshore assembly operation: Penang, Malaysia.
Impressed by Penang's location, workforce and local government support, Intel had invested $1.6 million by November 1972 to start its first offshore assembly plant (A1), in the midst of a muddy paddy field. Initially, the workforce consisted of 100 batik-clad employees.
Today, Intel Penang is home to a high-tech campus with 10 buildings; including one of Intel's largest assembly and test sites and a design and development center.
Employees in the Intel Architecture Group (IAG) Malaysia engineer technological innovations for microprocessors, chipsets and system-on-a-chip (SOC.)
Cool stuff at Intel Malaysia—Penang
In addition to our many benefits and programs, employees get a bunch of other perks! Here's a peek at some of the cool stuff that makes Intel Penang a great place to work.
- State-of-the-art fitness centers (including yoga, taiji, dance)
- Sports courts and fields (badminton, basketball, jogging path, soccer, tennis, volleyball)
- Indoor recreation amenities (gaming consoles, ping pong/table tennis, table football/foosball, rec room, TVs )
- Pampering amenities (massage chairs)
- Cafes with free fruit and drinks
- Coffee bars, hot beverage machines
- Convenience store, ATMs
- Health for Life Centers (onsite health care for employees), nutritionists, blood pressure machines, and Mother rooms)
- Employee discount programs, and motor and group insurance
- Convenience amenities (eyeglass cleaning, hand sanitizers, lobby services, mobile phone chargers, newspapers, umbrellas)
- Hobby and social clubs, and organized leisure activities
- Networking platforms where employees can connect with each other
Caring for our planet and inspiring the next generation
Malaysia participates in a number of social responsibility projects in the community, focusing their efforts on education and the environment.
Intel Malaysia is committed to enhancing the quality of life in the communities in which they live and work including Penang, Penang and Cyberjaya. Through the Intel® Involved program in Malaysia our employees seek to help their communities in the areas of education, environment and disaster aid relief.
Intel believes students everywhere deserve to have the tools needed to become the next generation of innovators. The Intel® Education Initiative in Malaysia supports programs such as the Intel® Teach Program, the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, and the Intel® Higher Education Program.