Choosing a Learning Management System
Finding the right learning management system to meet your educational needs starts with a clear vision of your overall goals and objectives. A variety of learning management systems are available, both free and commercial. Although they share many of the same tools, each one offers a unique set of features and user interface.
Use the questions below as a starting point for evaluating and choosing an LMS.
- What types of user “activities” does my LMS need to support? Access to digital curriculum? Communication between students? Teachers? Parents? And so on.
- What types of LMS tools will support my planned purpose and objectives?
- How is licensing structured with the LMS? How about file storage or data streaming? Some LMS pricing contracts can be complicated.
- Where are files stored? Will I have to find file storage space on the school’s computer system or does the LMS provide a “cloud” for remote file storage? How much storage will we need?
- Have any of our teachers worked with LMS systems before? What kind of pro or con opinions do staff members have about available systems?
- What are the biggest hurdles for student access to technology at my school?
- Will my students be able to access the required technology?
- Does my district have an Internet filter? Will this limit my ability to use a particular LMS?
- What is my budget?
- Can I accomplish my goals with an open source, free Learning Management System?
- Do the teachers want to be able to post online quizzes and exams?
- Does the school require an online grade book? If so, are teachers required to use the one provided or can they choose their own?
- What kind of reports do I expect to receive on student performance and usage?
Can we create customized reports? How easy/difficult is that and what are the limitations?
- What assessment features am I looking for? Do I want self-scoring assessments that pull questions from a question bank? Do I want automated feedback for each question?
- Do I need anti-plagiarism tools?
- Do I want to simply transmit information to students, or do I want to create an online community?
- Do I want videoconferencing capabilities?
- Do I need file sharing?
- Do I need community discussion forums?
- How much use of asynchronous communication tools do I expect?
- Does the LMS support internal messaging services, or will I need to provide e-mail accounts?
- Do I want an RSS feed feature to ensure that new messages and announcements are sent directly to student and teacher e-mail boxes?
- Can the user interface be customized? How much? School logo and colors?
- Is the user interface intuitive, or will our users have a hard time navigating the space to find what they need?
- Do my students need mobile access to the site?
- Is the online platform compatible with smartphones?
- What support resources are available if I have questions about the Learning Management System?
- Who can I contact for technical help? What is their availability?
- What are others saying about this particular LMS solution?
- Who can I call who might have some inside knowledge to share about the systems we’re considering?
For More Information
Check out the IT resources page for hot topics, guides, tools, and checklists.
Intel® Education product and technical experts
are available to provide you guidance for your organization's implementation plans.
Watch video >