Clubhouse Girl Rising Showcase – International Day of the Girl
Intel Computer Clubhouse Network Girl Rising Showcase – International Day of the Girl
Many girls are excluded from educational opportunities: girls are twice as likely to be illiterate as boys. To highlight these issues, United Nations has declared October 11th as International Day of the Girl.
Intel is supporting 10x10, a feature film, Girl Rising, and a social action campaign, combined to raise awareness about the challenges that millions of girls face every day.
In connection with the United Nations International Day of the Girl on October 11, 2013,
Intel Corporation, along with Museum of Science Boston, and MIT Media Lab invited the Intel Computer Clubhouse Network youth from around the world to create a project about a girl or woman who has had a positive influence on their life. The following projects were selected for the compelling way they illustrate the inspiring role women and girls play in the lives of Computer Clubhouse members.
Whaea Kura/School Mother
- Artistic statement: This video is about the International Day of the Girl showcase. It’s about the coolest teacher I've ever had and she does a lot of things with us. Her name is Whaea Kura. Whaea (pronounced Fiyah) means Miss or Aunt in Maori.
- Child’s first name: Maharaia
- Age: 10
- Computer Clubhouse: Enderley, Hamilton, New Zealand
Porque eu estarei/Because I Will Be
- Artistic statement: Girls should pay attention!
- Child’s first name: Aleson
- Age: 16
- Computer Clubhouse: Jardim Conceição, Osasco, Brazil
- Full size flyer >
My Aunt Fozzy, Day of the Girl
- Artistic statement: This is my International Girl's Day project about my aunt Fozzy, who I look up to and who inspires me, because she spent most of her high school life helping everyone more than herself.
- Child’s first name: Sebrine
- Age: 16
- Computer Clubhouse: Gum Springs Community Center, Alexandria,VA
- Artistic statement: My project is a video telling everyone about how my mother is my inspiration because she helps me do better at everything I try and is always there for me. Enjoy.
- Child’s first name: Jade
- Age: 15
- Computer Clubhouse: Clubhouse 253, Tacoma, WA
Woman’s Day Movie
- Artistic statement: A small video of quotations to show support for woman's day. Background music by Katy Perry, "Firework.”
- Child’s first name: Amanda
- Age: 13
- Computer Clubhouse: Mott Community Center, Fairfax, VA