Intel’s mission-critical processor technology helps Manila Electric Company (Meralco) transform its aging and inflexible data center into a strategic asset.
• Align infrastructure strategy to new business initiatives. Meralco’s IT department needed to use technology as an enabler for the company to open up new applications and services for customers. However, the legacy infra...structure was based on a closed architecture that limited agility and, at times, the ability to deploy new solutions.
• Virtualize for flexibility, agility, and cost-efficient scalability. Virtualization streamlined infrastructure management and enabled faster and more cost-effective expansion of infrastructure as business conditions mandated.
• Use industry-standard architecture for mission-critical performance. The Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family delivered improved resilience and high-scale performance to handle demand spikes.
• Fewer physical servers. Meralco IT was able to cut down the number of physical servers while increasing total capacity by using Cisco Unified Computing Systems* (UCS*) based on the Intel Xeon processor E7 family and adopting VMware vSphere* Hypervisor 5.1.
• Faster deployment of new applications. The combination of Intel processors and VMware vSphere 5.1 hypervisor gave Meralco IT additional server capacity within a few days, compared with a month or more under the previous infrastructure.