Diagram: Shows the connectivity in a 4th and 5th generation Intel® Core™ processor platform.
Intel® Z97 Chipset: Unleash Your Imagination
The Intel® Z97 Chipset with 4th and 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors deliver excellent performance for an unparalleled PC experience. New responsiveness capabilities and unlocked flexibility together with stunning 3-D visual and graphics support1 allow you to reach your full gaming potential.
|Support for the 4th and 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors||Supports the 4th and 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.02, Intel® Pentium® processors, and Intel® Celeron® processors.|
|Overclocking3||The Intel® Z97 Chipset also enables overclocking features of unlocked 4th and 5th generation Intel Core processors.|
|Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)4||With additional hard drives added, provides quicker access to digital photo, video, and data files, and greater data protection against a hard disk drive failure with RAID 0, 5, and 10. Support for external SATA (eSATA) enables the full SATA interface speed outside the chassis, up to 3 Gb/s.|
|Intel® Rapid Storage Technology for PCI Express* Storage||Enables Intel® Rapid Storage Technology features with PCI Express*-based SSDs.|
|Intel® Rapid Recover Technology (Intel® RRT)||Intel’s latest data protection technology provides a recovery point that can be used to quickly recover a system should a hard drive fail or if there is data corruption. The clone can also be mounted as a read-only volume to allow a user to recover individual files.|
|Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio)5||Integrated audio support enables premium digital surround sound and delivers advanced features such as multiple audio streams and jack re-tasking.|
|Intel® Smart Response Technology6||Implements storage I/O caching for faster response times of application startup and quicker access to user data.|
|Intel® Smart Connect Technology7||Provides faster application refresh by allowing applications to be updated in a low power state.|
|Intel® Rapid Start Technology8||Allows quick system resume from the hibernate state.|
|Universal Serial Bus 3.0||Integrated USB 3.0 support, provides greater enhancement in performance with a design data rate of up to 5 Gb/s with up to six USB 3.0 ports.9|
|Universal Serial Bus 2.0||Hi-speed USB 2.0 support with a design data rate of up to 480 Mb/s with up to 14 USB 2.0 ports.|
|Serial ATA (SATA) 6 Gb/s||Next generation high-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rates for optimal data access with up to six SATA ports.9|
|Serial ATA (SATA) 3 Gb/s||High-speed storage interface supporting up to six SATA ports.|
|Intel® Device Protection Technology with Boot Guard10||Helps protect the system’s pre-OS environment from viruses and malicious software attacks.|
|eSATA||SATA interface designed for use with external SATA devices. Provides a link for 3 Gb/s data speeds to eliminate bottlenecks found with current external storage solutions.|
|SATA port disable||Enables individual SATA ports to be enabled or disabled as needed. This feature provides added protection of data by preventing malicious removal or insertion of data through SATA ports. Especially targeted for eSATA ports.|
|PCI Express 2.0 interface||Offers up to 5 GT/s for fast access to peripheral devices and networking with up to eight PCI Express 2.0 x1 ports9, configurable as x2, x4, and x8 depending on motherboard designs.|
|4th and 5th generation Intel Core processor PCI Express 3.0 Interface||Intel® Z97-based platforms enable the processor PCI Express 3.0 port to be configurable as a 1x16, 2x8, or 1x8 and 2x4 which enables support for Thunderbolt™ technology11 depending on desktop motherboard designs.|
|USB port disable||Enables individual USB ports to be enabled or disabled as needed. This feature provides added protection of data by preventing malicious removal or insertion of data through USB ports.|
|Intel® Integrated 10/100/1000 MAC||Support for the Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V.|
|Green technology||Manufactured with lead-free and halogen-free11 component packages.|
1. Built-in visual features are not enabled on all PCs, and optimized software may be required. Check with your system manufacturer. Learn more at www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/visual-technology/intel-visual-technology-consumer.html.
2. Requires a system with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology capability. Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 is the next generation of Turbo Boost Technology and is only available on 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors. Consult your notebook manufacturer. Performance varies depending on hardware, software, and system configuration. For more information, visit http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html.
3. WARNING: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose. For more information, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking/overclocking-intel-processors.html.
4. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) requires the computer to have an Intel® RST-enabled chipset, the RAID controller in the BIOS enabled, and the Intel RST software driver installed. Please consult your system vendor for more information.
5. Requires an Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio) enabled system. Consult your PC manufacturer for more information. Sound quality will depend on equipment and actual implementation. For more information about Intel® HD Audio, refer to www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm.
6. Requires a select Intel® processor, enabled chipset, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software, and a properly configured hybrid drive (HDD + small SSD). Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.
7. Requires a select Intel® processor, Intel® software and BIOS update, and Intel® Solid-State Drive. Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.
8. Intel® Rapid Start Technology requires a select Intel® processor, Intel® software and BIOS update, and Intel® Solid-State Drive (Intel® SSD). Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.
9. Actual number of ports available may vary by system configuration. Please consult your system vendor for more information.
10. No computer system can provide absolute security. Requires an enabled Intel® processor, enabled chipset, firmware, and software, and may require a subscription with a capable service provider (may not be available in all countries). Intel assumes no liability for lost or stolen data and/or systems or any other damages resulting thereof. Consult your service provider for availability and functionality. For more information, visit http://www.intel.com/go/anti-theft. Consult your system manufacturer and/or software vendor for more information.
11. As compared to other PC I/O connection technologies including eSATA, USB, and IEEE 1394 Firewire*. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software used. For more information go to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-technology-developer.html.