EFI S3 Resume Boot Path Specification v0.9
This specification defines the core code and services that are required for an implementation of the S3 resume boot path in the Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI (hereafter referred to as the “Framework”). The S3 resume boot path is a special boot path that causes the Framework to take actions different from those in the normal boot path. This specification does the following:
• Describes the basic components of the S3 resume boot path, how it relates to a normal boot path, and how it interacts with other Framework phases and code
• Provides code definitions for the S3-related protocols and PPIs that are architecturally required by the Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI Architecture Specification
This Framework S3 resume boot path design has the following goals:
The Framework S3 resume boot path should easily adapt to different platforms, such as Itanium®-based platforms and those based on 32-bit Intel® architecture (IA-32), by replacing only a few platform- specific modules.
• High performance:
S3 restoration is most commonly used in notebook computers. Its performance is highly visible to end users.
This Framework S3 resume boot path design must meet the following requirements:
• All aspects of this design must comply with the following:
• Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI Architecture Specification
• Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI Pre-EFI Initialization Core Interface Specification (PEI CIS)
• Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI Driver Execution Environment Core Interface Specification (DXE CIS)
• Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification (hereafter referred to as the “ACPI specification”), revision 2.0
• The design must enable size efficiency, code reuse, and maintainability
Read the full EFI S3 Resume Boot Path Specification.