EFI Firmware Volume Specification v0.9
Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI Firmware Volume Specification Version 0.9.
This specification defines the Framework image format and its associated file access protocols that are required for an implementation the Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI (hereafter referred to as the “Framework”). This specification does the fol...lowing:
• Describes the Firmware Volume Protocol, the Framework firmware image format, and Framework file types
• Provides code definitions for services, functions, and data types that are architecturally required by the Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for EFI Architecture Specification
This specification defines the following:
• Firmware storage interfaces
• The associated binary format that may be accessed using these interfaces It does not, however, define the binary format of the data as it actually exists in the storage media.
Unlike a traditional legacy BIOS, which generally is monolithic and contains few independent components,
Framework-based firmware is highly modular, consisting of many small, independently linked components. A new approach to firmware storage is needed to ensure the following:
• Efficient usage of the firmware devices
• A flexible storage strategy that allow various components to be found and retrieved without a priori knowledge of exactly where to find them or the methods that are required to retrieve them.
September 16, 2003
Read the full EFI Firmware Volume Specification.