Eco-Smart computing overview
Eco-Smart computing consists of unique products and services that support and protect the environment. Components that enable Eco-Smart computing are developed with technologies, characteristics, and attributes to improve computing’s impact on the earth. Eco-Smart characteristics include:
- Energy efficiency
- Reduced usage of sensitive materials, including lead1 and halogenated flame retardants2
- A broad spectrum of solutions to help the platform meet or exceed environmental regulations
Whether you’re building a PC to meet your geography’s regulations or your business is already designing systems that are better for the environment, you can be confident that Intel has products that provide a solid foundation for Eco-Smart computing.
At Intel, we strive to reduce our environmental footprint by managing our operations responsibly, designing products that are Eco-Smart, and leading sustainability initiatives around the world.
- Intel® Channel Eco-Smart Program (PDF 2.5MB)
- Eco-Smart Computing (PDF 746KB)
- Learn more about energy-efficient Intel® Server Products (PDF 621KB)
Worldwide energy-efficiency requirements for computers
Voluntary and mandatory compliance
Success in today’s ecology-minded markets requires awareness of and compliance with global requirements.
Two types of environmental standards are emerging worldwide:
- Voluntary standards such as the United States’ ENERGY STAR* and Japan’s Top Runner* are required only in some markets.
- Mandatory standards compliance such as the European Union’s ErP* and Australia’s MEPS* is required to access markets in these countries.
- ENERGY STAR* v5.0 – For more information visit www.intel.com/go/energystar.
- EPEAT* (Global, recognized in more than 40 countries. Required by U.S. government.) – For more information visit www.intel.com/go/channel_EPEAT.
- ErP Lot 6* (January 2010)
- ErP Lot 3* (Under development)
- ErP Lot 27* (Under development)
Energy-Related Products (ErP) – For more information visit www.intel.com/go/ErP.
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) standards and labeling* (Under development)
- Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS)* (Under development)
- Information and Communications Technologies (ICT*) (Under development)
- S3/S5 regulation
- Top Runner* (Next revision under development)
Eco-Smart computing starts with Intel Inside®
Intel works with global environmental policy makers, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), European Commission, and India BEE to develop new specifications and legislation for greener technologies.
Intel helps enable channel component suppliers to deliver PC building blocks—ensuring that channel PC builders have the right components to create greener PCs to meet new global standards for the environment.
Intel’s new boxed processors offer power-efficient silicon technology and are lead-free1 and halogen-free.2
Boxed CPU benefits
The new Intel® Core™ processor family
Idle power is the focus for worldwide energy-efficiency standards, including ENERGY STAR,* EPEAT,* and new mandatory requirements being developed in the European Union, Australia, New Zealand, and India. While in idle state, the CPU, motherboard, and graphics consume the most power. It is important to select components that use low idle power to design a power-efficient PC. Intel® Core™ i5 processor with Intel® HD Graphics paired with an Intel® 5 Series Chipset-based board provides a solution with incredibly low idle power characteristics.
New Intel® Core™ processor idle power advantage 6
Intel® Desktop Boards designed for Eco-Smart computing
- Lower idle power
- Low power draw in S5 standby
- Supports small form factor design
- Great for ENERGY STAR,* EPEAT,* and other environmentally friendly PC designs
|Example Power Budget 8, 9||Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM|
|Motherboard + 2 GB memory||
Intel® boards have very low idle power to meet ENERGY STAR* requirements
|Intel® Core™ i5 CPU + VR loss||
Intel® Core™ i5 CPU with graphics has very low idle power
|PSU loss||6.8 W|
|Total idle power||31.8 W|
|S3 power||1.9 W|
Very low S5 power to meet ErP Lot 6
|TEC (Typical Energy Consumption) ENERGY STAR* v5.0 measurement||
Well below the TEC target of 175 for Cat B
Intel® Desktop Boards Executive Series
Intel® Desktop Boards Executive Series deliver best-for-business advantages, including:
- Hardware-based security with Intel® vPro™ technology
- Manage and monitor remotely with Intel® vPro™ technology
- Backup and security with in-box free software such as Intel® IT Director, Intel® System Defense Utility, Spiceworks IT Desktop,* Laplink PC Mover,* and ESET Smart Security*
Intel® Server Boards designed for Eco-Smart computing
Intel® Server Products offer a wide range of low-power Intel® Xeon® processors, memory configuration, and power supply options allowing customers to better align performance and energy requirements for their particular usage environment.
Platform-level energy efficiencies:
- Intel® On Demand Redundant Power Technology11
- Low Voltage DDR3 (LVDDR3) Memory
- Power Management Bus (PMBus) Protocol
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT)
- 80 Plus*
- Climate Savers Computing12
- RoHS Compliance
Certified products and environmentally sound manufacturing processes:
Taking care of the world in which we innovate
Intel believes technology will be key to addressing the world’s environmental challenges. We are passionate about the intelligent use of technology and we understand our responsibility goes far beyond delivering the products we make.
- Eco-Smart computing. By designing our products with the environment in mind, we are able to make our processors as energy efficient as possible, while maintaining high levels of performance.
- Responsible operations. By managing our operations responsibly, we have reduced our energy use, cut our carbon emissions, saved billions of gallons of water, and developed innovative ways to operate our business efficiently.
- Sustainability initiatives and policy. In collaboration with governments, local communities, environmental groups, and businesses, we lead sustainability initiatives around the world.
- Corporate responsibility. For more details about Intel’s commitment to sustainability, visit www.intel.com/intel/environment.
1Lead-free: CPU: 45nm/32nm product is manufactured on a lead-free process. Lead is below 1000 PPM per EU RoHS directive (2002/95/EC, Annex A). Some EU RoHS exemptions for lead may apply to other components used in the product package. Boards: Lead-free in second level interconnect per EU RoHS Directive (2002/95/EC).
2Halogen-free: Applies only to halogenated flame retardants and PVC in components. Halogens are below 900 PPM bromine and 900 PPM chlorine.
3Power measurements using specific computer systems and/or components reflect the approximate performance of the particular hardware tested. Any difference in system hardware, software, or configuration may affect actual measurements.
4Compared to 45nm technology.
5Socket H low-profile fan/heatsink meets the halogen-free requirements of less than 900 PPM for fan and shroud.
6All data depicted in this table are theoretical maximums, and actual measured power consumption may be lower.
7The total idle power depicted here is the theoretical sum of the silicon idle power. Actual platform level idle will vary depending on the system’s motherboard design and other components, such as memory, hard drive, and optical drive.
8System configuration: Intel® Core™ i5 650, In-Win Powerman IP-P350EF7-2* PSU, Hitachi HDP725050GLA360* HDD, 2 x 1GB Kingston KVR1066D3N7K2* memory, Samsung SH-203* ODD. Measurement taken at 115V-60 Hz.
9For more information on performance tests and on the performance of Intel products, click here.
10System configuration: Measured power from Intel® Desktop Boards DQ35JO, DQ45CB, and DQ57TM, uncharacterized CPU samples with respective board VR power loss, In-Win Powerman IP-P350EF7-2* PSU, average data of several data points for a Hitachi HDP725050GLA360* HDD, 2 2 x 1GB Kingston KVR1066D3N7K2* memory, Samsung SH-203* ODD. PSU loss was calculated based on a theoretical 80 percent efficiency.
11Intel On-Demand Power Redundancy Technology available only for Intel® Server Systems SR2600/SR2650UR.
12The word mark "Climate Savers Computing" and Climate Savers Computing design mark or logo are service marks of the WWF- World Wide Fund for Nature (formerly World Wildlife Fund), a Swiss foundation.